Thursday, March 02, 2006

examined life

I think it was Emerson who said "the unexamined life is not worth living". The question arises though,just how much time does one spend in the process? You would think the answer is obvious,i.e.,however,it is too easy to become submerged in the pursuit of an abstaction that is insidiously amorphic and therefore unmanageable. So, how much time does one spend on introspection? The fear of falling prey to narcissistic maundering is real.I want to understand who I am,where I'm going,what I've become and what I am becoming but I don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time engaged in the process. Where is the balance?Why do I feel guilty about wanting to do anything at all? It is the point of diminishing returns that is not apparent.Conversely,what is wrong with investing an extravagant amount of time in contemplation? I think it comes back to the book of James where it says "faith without works is dead". Thinking needs to be punctuated by action. The only thing in doubt is the proportion of time allocated respectively.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawn Blue Raven said...

Hi, This is an interesting twist in my search to find the correct pronunciation of the word "Bugalademujs". It was brought to my attention by a story from a Mi-Mac Indian who referred to them as little people who would play tricks on them while they slept. So far, I believe I understand these are legends or mythical creatures like fairies or leprechans. Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Dawn Blue Raven

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home